Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Professional Text

I really enjoyed reading Teaching Arguments by Jennifer Fletcher. Although it could be used primarily for 11th and 12th grade students because of the in depth standards that happen during that time, I plan on using it in earlier grades. Fletcher had many good strategies to use and she gave many student examples to help the reader understand. She wants students to inquire into other peoples arguments and not always immediately shut them down. We need to teach students to write to discover, not write to win. I thought this was an interesting concept because so often we do not teach students why they need to learn how to argue. Argument writing is something that can be used for any college major, any career, or anyone that has an opinion. Fletcher pushes us to create writers who are open minded but also know how to construct a well rounded argument. She does an in depth explanation of how ethos, logos, and pathos can be taught for student writing. Overall, this book was a good pick for me because it was an easy read and had a lot of different resources throughout the text to help my create my own ideas for my classroom one day.

4 comments:

  1. This book seemed very interesting I love the authors stance on creating open minded writers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seemed very interesting I love the authors stance on creating open minded writers

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We need to teach kids how to write to discover, not write to win." That struck me hard and is so true! Inquiry based writing is proper writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the quote that we shared. Writing is about discovery. I agree that although some of Flethcher's work is geared to upper level students, you can start using the strategies with younger students.

    ReplyDelete