Monday, September 19, 2016

Goodwill Junkie

Over the past few months, I have noticed that my passion has turned into buying as many books from Goodwill (within my "fun" budget) as possible. I just recently bought a new bookcase, but due to Walmart's inability to make each shelf equally spaced, I need more room for larger books. However, my main reason for even starting to go to Goodwill was because I wanted to find all of the Harry Potter books. Now of course, like any reasonable human being, I have already read the Harry Potter books multiple times... Unfortunately, so did my 5 siblings which left them in shambles. A lot of you may be saying, "Allison, just go buy the books from a bookstore and save yourself the time." But you do not understand the fulfillment I will get when I find them. At this point, it is just a challenge with myself. I will let you in on a little secret though... I failed miserably 3 months ago.

So, 3 months ago, I was in Goodwill searching for YA novels that I needed for my summer class (I found 4 by the way). While I was there, I found the last Harry Potter book in hardback but for some CRAZY reason that to this day I cannot figure out, I did not buy it. Well, when I went home, I immediately realized the mistake I had made so told my said that I would return the following day, so I did. Can you take a guess what happened the next day? If you guessed that it wasn't there anymore, then you are right! Within 12 hours that book was GONE to some lucky owner who saw its worth sooner than I did. Now I am left with the haunting memory of my mistake.

Now to be less dramatic, I am still looking for the Harry Potter books, other than the 4th one (which is my favorite). I have moved on to just buying a book every time I go to fill the empty void that Harry Potter has left me. Next time you go to Goodwill, keep a lookout for the Harry Potter books for me. I will pay you double the price... so like 4 dollars.






7 comments:

  1. Hahaha literally laughed out loud at this! I never thought of checking out Goodwill for books. This is actually a really great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allison! This is so a you thing to do! My brother used to have a resale book business so scouting out books at the Goodwill is a habit I'm into also. I hope you never make that mistake again and finish your collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thinking with using Goodwill as a resource for your library. After all "one person's trash is another person's treasure." I'll keep an eye out for Harry Potter books next time I go to Goodwill to get an outfit for a fraternity social. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also keep my eye out for you! I have that book obsession too! Now people just give me books. I had to build my own bookshelves to house my books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post literally had me smiling until I realized you did not get the book! :( I really hope that you find it but in the mean time I will be on the look out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go pretty much every weekend too Allison! Honestly Goodwill has so many books it's amazing what you can find in there. Currently I'm trying to buy all the books in the Series of Unfortunate Events, so that's not going that well. Good luck in finding that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison, I love thrifting but I rarely go! I would love to start my own book buying adventures because I plan to have a huge classroom library! Can you believe this?.. I have never read the Harry Potter series... Nope, not even one book. I haven't even seen all of the movies. It is something that I should definitely try to accomplish before I get into the classroom, knowing that the series is still so popular. Haha!

    ReplyDelete